Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Conferences: Not Feelin It

Usually I am really excited about going to conferences.  I remember the first conferences I went to very clearly: the ones in my own field, ones in fields I was thinking of switching to, the excitement of meeting people, learning new approaches and whole new problems to think about, getting feedback about what I was working on from new people, etc.  Even a few months ago I was excited thinking about the conferences I could attend.  Now that some deadlines are coming up, I am not feeling motivated at all. I think I’m tired of throwing things together for conference abstracts.  I want to spend my time working on something new and big and awesome, not rehashing the same things I’ve been working on for months with little progress.  Or maybe my data is just uninspiring lately, and if I’m not inspired, no one else is going to be either. 

Or maybe I’m just getting old and grumpy!

4 comments:

  1. Maybe a break would help. Or a cookie.

    Because then even if you still aren't feelin' the conferences, you'll at least have a cookie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, sounds like maybe you need a break and to attend a different conference a few months down the line?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know this is after the fact, being as this post is from Jan (Cherish just pointed me to your site), but there's a really great chapter on conferences in the book "Never Eat Alone". Basically you try and set up parties and fun sub-conferences at a conference. Good way to make friends and make some contacts that could help you down the line. And a good way to survive life-sucking conferences.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris- thanks for the book recommendation. I'm always looking for interesting nonfiction to read.

    ReplyDelete